Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Weekend of Memories

I left Arkansas Wednesday, December 11 bound for the Chicago area and my niece Debbie and husband John's home in Oswego, Il. The trip was punctuated by frequent stops to deal with my "new normal" after my abdominal surgery two years ago. However it wasn't bad and was not much of and issue for the entire weekend.

I arrived in time for dinner at Deb's and she and I sat around the rest of the evening visiting about family and things. Thursday morning was "jammy" time. She and I sat around in our pajamas, drank coffee and "gabooned." That is my Dad's word for visit at length. We were joined by John and had just and excellent day.

In the afternoon as Debbie prepared an excellent baked chicken, potatoes, chicken gravy and green bean dinner I went through old family pictures she had brought back from her mother's home after my sister Carol's passing last February. It was a real trip down memory lane. I could relate a number of stories to Debbie that she had not heard before and we relived many memories of when Chap and Carol and the kids came to Munising.

It was so nice to be among good family, you can't help but feel comfortable and at ease with Deb & John.

Friday morning I left and went to Valparaiso, IN to see my oldest daughter Kristi. We unloaded my car at Ned's house, my hospitable digs while in Valpo, then on the road to Midway Airport to pick up the youngest daughter Jenny.

I will relate some more in another blog as it would make this one too long. Suffice it to say it was a memorable weekend. We had time to sit and "gaboon" without having to be any place except for Sunday we had to go to Kristi's graduation from Valpo. The time allowed me to gain further insight into the lives of my two lovely daughters. It was the kind of weekend where you are relaxed, enjoying each other's company and just talking about anything that pops into your head. 

Those kids have grown into mature young adults, Jenny and Wayne raising a family and Kristi is just divorced but seems happy and looking forward to new life events. Both have a good handle on their lives and are so animated and enjoyable to be with, I could not have asked for a better weekend.

We were able to spend Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning together and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It was enough time that I came away reassured that all is OK with both, that their lives, while challenging, are rewarding and fulfilled. I cannot tell you what that peace of mind means to a parent. It was long enough that the ride back to Arkansas was pleasant and not regretful. I am a joyful man.

No comments: