Friday, December 26, 2008

Mother's Knitting

When I was young, in high school my Mom & Dad could not afford much for gifts. My Mother was a talented lady. She would knit presents for all of the grand kids, eight of them. She also would knit for her children. The clickity-clack of the knitting needles would begin in August and mittens, scarfs, sweaters and lovely hand made items would start to accumulate. My Mother had the capability of knitting while socializing. She might carry on a conversation and all of a sudden she would grow quiet and concentrate as she came to the end of a row or some intricate knitting maneuver.

My sister Phyllis took up knitting and for a number of years when I was in high school I had the most beautiful collection of heavy cable knit sweaters, ski sweaters, and even a beautiful blue Angora sweater. All of them hand made. What a talent these kin folk had and what beautiful garments were provided. There certainly was the cost of the yarn, but the love and care that went into making those items probably wrapped the receiver in as much warmth as the sweater or mittens did. It was always appreciated, but the skill of patience of the craft was amazing.

No comments: