Sunday, December 7, 2008

802 West Superior - Christmas

The first 8 years of my life were spent in a home my Dad rented from Judge Nebel. It was a two story home that sits at 802 West Superior St. in Munising, MI. It is still there, and while it has been remodeled, the front looks pretty much the same.

There are three Christmas memories I vividly recall involving that home.

First: My sister Carol is the closest to me in age, she is 14 years older. When I was around 4 she went to college. The tradition at our home was we cut a wild tree. My Dad traveled our county quite often visiting customers and in late summer and fall he would scout the woods along the back routes he took for a possible tree. Then after Thanksgiving we would go out and snowshoe around the woods, examining trees, snow getting down your back when you shook off a tree, and eventually make our selection. The trees were typically balsam, if we could find them, they seemed to hold their needles a little longer. Part of getting the tree was to also bring some boughs back for other trimming needs.

At the back of the living room were stairs leading to the second floor. The stairs had a railing, but were open. So my Dad always ran a string of lights down the stairwell around the balusters. Then he would fasten boughs so the stairwell had pine boughs and lights all the way to the top. My sister Carol would then make snow. The artificial snow was made with Ivory Soap Flakes, sugar and water. She would beat the soap and sugar in a mixer to actually make a white concoction similar to whipped cream, only it wasn't edible. I learned that lesson. Then using a spatula she would ladle the snow on the pine boughs and the railing would have some ribbon bows spaced to give the stairwell a very festive look. It was nice climbing the stairs to the bedrooms when the lights were lit and the view from the stairwell looking out on the living room was magnificent. I remember the stairwell vividly.

Second: When I was about 5 I received a telegram from Santa. It was delivered by the Western Union deliveryman late on the afternoon of the 24th. It said, "Dear Tom stop, Am leaving the North Pole now stop. I will be coming to your home later tonight stop. Be good and have a Merry Christmas stop. Santa" Wow, a personal message from Santa. I wasn't the only one who lived A Christmas Story.

Third: My parents would sometimes go out to a Christmas Eve party, or the Bakkums or Gibson's might drop in and visit. Usually there were some late nights, but not for me, I had to go to bed and wait till morning. God that was rough. I would wonder what Santa would bring. I was excited about the whole season. We always had snow, and lots of snow for Christmas so the lights of homes decorated for Christmas always brought good cheer and happiness. Many times after Christmas Eve church services we would take a ride through town to look at the homes. We would see people gathering for festivities, families coming together, lights and cheer made for an exciting atmosphere for a young boy to be part of.

I would have to be in bed at some hour, I do not know the time. I do know that my folks stayed up some time after I was in bed. So, when I woke up at 3 or 4 in the morning ready to get at it, I was made to lay in bed while they snoozed some. I do not know what time we got up, but it seemed endless. Then, when my mother and father would finally start moving and waking the ritual of the tree lighting and bathroom took place. My dad would go use the bathroom, splash some water on his face and then go downstairs and turn on the tree lights. My mother would then have to go into the bathroom and perform whatever ablutions she performed, totally unnecessary and taking far too much time. Me, a quick pee and I was good to go.

Then down the stairs we would traipse, Dad in the lead, Mom then me. I am sure my eyes lit up with glee and avarice as I viewed the lights, the gifts that Santa had brought, and the array of presents. I recall getting the proverbial gas station with the little elevator that would lift cars to the second floor. It wouldn't last a month, but for a while it was wonderful.

No comments: