Saturday, June 21, 2008

The First Day of Summer, 2008

The day started a little overcast and moisture so heavy it looked like fog. The beginning of summer in Arkansas. A doe and her fawn were out early this morning. I would not be surprised it was the fawn's first trip around the yard. The doe was very skittish. I took my morning walk, the temperature was comfortable and there was an odor in the air. I cannot describe the odor, it was a summer smell. I've smelled it before and the memory it evokes is of summer.

Many of my thoughts turn to my northern home, Munising, MI. I recall, even at a very young age being thrilled to be out in nature and the sights, sounds and smells were truly exciting. I recall the odor I sniffed this morning, I've smelled it before when school was out. A time when Joe and I had dug a Campbell's soup can of worms, each. A time when we met outside our houses and got on our bikes for a two or three mile trip out to the Annie River for some summer trout fishing. The air would have that summer smell, I cannot tell you what it is comprised of, but it definitely is summer. It is not hot, it does not smell like concrete or asphalt. It evokes the memory of walking in the woods coming out of a warm field and entering the cool woodland area. It does not smell like the Annie River, that is a separate and distinct odor. The odor does bring back exploration trips up the West Ward trail, out by St. Martin's farm. It brings back the memory of sitting on the hillside above Munising overlooking Munising Bay and looking for wildflowers such as Dutchman's Britches, or Tiger Lilies, or May Flowers. It has a little heat and dust in the memory, but one of comfort, not the dry brittle odor of August.

It was a good morning to smell that odor. I am a seven days away from going north for two weeks to spend time in my old haunts. I will see my children and grandchildren in that faraway place that remains so dear to me. I will smell summer in the north and I will be young again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there

Thanks for sharing, I have digged this post

Anonymous said...

Great post, I am almost 100% in agreement with you

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am certainly glad to discover this. cool job!