Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Old words

Meetia Tasia Poo Hoo! What the heck is that. Well, my Dad made that one up and it was a response to a question or a statement. For example, I might say at the dinner table that I really enjoyed the meal my mother prepared. My Dad would respond with Meetia Tasia Poo Hoo, interpreted Me Too!

Before the days of radio young person living in remote parts of our country had to find a means of amusement. My Dad and his brothers used the interplay of words creating somewhat nonsensical phrases that stood for simple responses. Each of the three boys were experts at spoonerisms and made games out of saying things then having the others guess what they had said. It took clever minds to rearrange words, syllables and emphasis to misstate the obvious. I was raised in such as house as were my brothers and sisters and to this day each of us carry some capability to do what my father and our uncles did.

I don't hear people play with words anymore. I don't hear people develop creativity by making games out of such antics. It seems to me we've lost a little something. Forshum, forshum.

Have a good day

1 comment:

JennyF said...

I have to disagree. Just check out the text messaging style of communication that the younger generation has adopted. The inventiveness hasn't gone away, it's just been moved from a verbal platform to a written one.

Click on the following to write in some plain English and get the text msg translation. Ull B Amazd.

http://www.lingo2word.com/translate.php