Sunday, September 2, 2007

Her kids harrassed my Grandmother

My father told me a story worth passing on. My dad, his brothers and Mother moved from Grand Marais, MI to Munising via fishing tug back in 1913. Munising was not very old, I believe the town was incorporated in 1897. I am sure some buildings and people lived there earlier than that, but my Family moved to Munising just sixteen years after its incorporation.

I do not know all of the addresses they lived at, but I do know that my Grandmother had the task of raising three young, energetic, witty, fun living boys. My dad and my uncles were sharp, all the days that I knew them they had a way with words, I am sure they provided my Grandmother with laughter and amusement during their younger years.

One day my Uncle Earl walked through a room my Grandmother was in and mused to himself, out loud, "hmmmm, is it is souls or am souls." Then he would pass on into another room without a sound leaving my Grandmother pondering what he was up to. Then a while later another visit to Grandma's domain and another, "is it is souls or am souls?" Then he would leave the room. This went on for several hours. I am sure my Grandmother's curiosity was building. along with her urge to provide him with the answer. Finally on one more trip through the room Uncle Earl said "is it is souls, or am souls?" Of course my Dad and Uncle Cecil were waiting nearby to hear the outcome of this question. Finally my Grandmother blurted out, "is is are souls." Whereupon she realized she had just been had, grabbed a broom and chased all three boys from the house in punishment for their prank. My Dad said that he paused and turned around to look back just in time to see my Grandmother lean back against the door, chin on the broom handle and laugh herself to tears. What a time it must've been in that household so long ago. I would've like to have seen the action.

1 comment:

JennyF said...

There are truly some gems of stories in Grandpa's shenanigans growing up with his two brothers. Thanks for recording them here for us to relive!