Thursday, October 29, 2009

A new outdoor friend?

My second Dad, Tom Dolaskie, was as good a friend and mentor as a man could get. I learned a lot about the out of doors from him. I also learned a lot about how to act in life, how to live your life without being arrogant, and taking an observers view of the passing of time rather than worrying about it.

His son, Tommy Jr. is not an out door person, but is a good guy. As good as they get. He also seems to exhibit a lot of his father's style.

Now comes Tommy's son, Tommy Dolaskie the IV. I think I'll call him Tommy Quad, for fourth. I knew him as a little kid. I met him once as and adult. However I have observed him on Facebook and have come to admire and like his style. I believe he probably is a little more glitzy than his Dad and his Grandfather, but he seems to have a good heart. I have proposed a remembrance fishing trip next summer up in Munising. He seems to be for it. Perhaps I will have a new out door partner that treads lightly on my consciousness the way his Grandfather did. By that I mean we talked about trying new ways of hunting or fishing, but it was done as equals and neither of us felt dependent or beholden to the other to be in the field. We always walked as equals, but we weren't he was always the better man.

Here's to the future. Perhaps I will have the opportunity to return the favor and be an example for my 2nd Dad's grandson.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.