Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Graham's at Topinabee

Believe it or not there is a Village in Michigan called Topinabee. It is just outside of Indian River. Over 50 years ago when I traveled with my Mom & Dad down to my brother's home in Midland, MI we used to stop at this small restaurant called Graham's at Topinabee. It was a small family restaurant and we usually were there close to lunch time. The first time we stopped my Mother induced me into trying a cold chicken breast sandwich. It was wonderful, with slices of chicken breast, mayonnaise, lettuce on a nice white bread. I believe it came with chips, and I had a pop. For some reason it stuck in my head and I associate it with traveling to Midland, being with my Mom & Dad and visiting these small communities in somewhat out of the way places. It is perhaps what got me in the habit of looking for local "joints" to have a meal in. Usually they are nice, family run, and good folks trying to make a living without "working for the man." Graham's was special and I remember it fondly as a place that has warm memories of my folks and I traveling.

No comments: