Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Snowshoe softball

Circa 1954: When I was quite young, living in Munising, MI winter could be a long period cooped up indoors. Yet quite honestly I remember it as a time I spent a lot of time out of doors. One event that no longer exists is the Snowshoe softball game played annually between the local Lion's Club and the Conservation Club. The Conservation Club had a clubhouse East of town off of M-28. I think it was mostly a social club although they did have a shooting range nearby.

In the dead of winter when the snow was deep and days could be pleasant a game would be held usually on a Sunday afternoon. It was truly a social gathering. The club house would be plowed out, the heaters fired up, and men from both clubs would gather to play softball on snowshoes. My Dad was the catcher for the Lions. I believe there would be some form of libation at first base for those ball players that got a hit and made it to first. You know, something to tide them over until they got to second. I do not recall if it was a keg of beer, but you sure didn't have to ice the beer down, just stuff the keg in a snow drift and you had ice cold tap, yum!

My Dad was in his late 50's and played in that game every year. It was a rollicking joyful event filled with good natured ribbing and hilarity. I don't recall how many innings were play, probably six. Men ran, fell, got snow down there back, strained muscles that would be sore for days after, but they had fun and made a bleak winter lively.

The wives were also along. Many came out and watched the game, many snow shoed off through the woods enjoying the winter scenery. Some played cards in the club house, and others prepared food. There was a mutual dinner afterward that was mostly potluck. I think that each club threw money in a pot to buy a meat dish. It seems I can remember grilled hamburgers and hot dogs. There was always a bar and as the afternoon wore on the talk grew lively and the goodwill was evident even though many of these men did not socialize on a regular basis.

Someone had a camp northeast of the Conservation Club, I do not remember now whose it was. The name that pops into my head is Hemmingway. My folks were friends with them and often while the game was played some of the ladies would snowshoe into the camp, open it up and enjoy a few nips enjoying the woodsy scene.

I mostly remember the spirit of the occasion. It seemed like a lively pastime to organize and make a fun event out of a long cold winter. The warmth of human spirit can overcome so much.

No comments: