Friday, February 15, 2008

The In's are Ahead of the Out's.

I think of my Dad quite often. He grew up in an era two generations removed from me, he was 43 years of age when I was born. Children and people amused each other instead of being amused by things like TV and the radio. It seems to me that wit, and creative humor are slowly disappearing from our human scene. With the advent of indoor/outdoor thermometers the game of Ins vs Outs was born. Ins being the temperature of the dwelling, Outs being the ambient temperature outside. So, Dad would solemnly announce to those about that the Ins were ahead of the Outs during the winter, and of course in the summer the reverse was often true where the Outs were ahead of the Ins.

It was a simple play on words. I am sure to many today it would be "corny." I have decided that "corny" is also a definition for something silly, for a thought process that exists outside of the box. It seems to me we don't have enough silliness in our lives today. I like talking with my sisters, they have a sharp wit and a highly creative imagination. In the wake of yet another killing spree on a college campus it seems to me that perhaps we should take a little refuge from time to time in whether or not the Ins or the Outs are ahead.

No comments: