Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Boiling Point of Water

It has become apparent to me that water no longer boils at 212 F. The boiling point is apparently much lower. It became evident this morning when I made myself some oatmeal. I spooned it directly from the saucepan to the bowl, from there to the table and some milk and brown sugar and was able to eat it immediately.

I recalled when I was young and my Mother would make oatmeal that I had to blow on it to cool it. I would spoon a little milk into my mouth so I could pour more milk on the hot cereal in an effort to cool the mixture off. It would burn my mouth, it seemed like I had to wait forever for the cereal to get to a tolerable temperature.

Now, it seems to come from the saucepan at an edible temperature. Obviously the laws of physics have changed and water must boil at a much cooler temperature because at 62 I can eat my oatmeal right away without having to blow on steaming cereal. So much for the immutable laws of physics!

No comments: